Best Air Purifier For Allergies. Take a deep breath, if you can. Many things we do to keep energy costs low, such as: Fixing drafty doors and leaking windows, can also seal annoying contaminants and irritants. Most people who buy air purifiers do so in hopes of relieving asthma or allergies. But despite the claims of the product, there is little clear medical evidence that air purifiers help alleviate respiratory problems.
The improvement of indoor air quality begins with the minimization of sources of contamination, such as cigarette smoke or dust and animal dander. We evaluate how well a room cleaner removes dust and smoke from a closed room, how it works at high and low speeds and how quiet it is.
The best portable models we tested were effective at cleaning the air of dust, smoke and pollen at their highest and lowest speeds. The worst models were not very effective at any speed.
Find The Best Air Purifier For Allergies
We test, evaluate and compare the latest air purifiers to evaluate claims, so you can find the best air purifier.
Breathe more easily
Before buying an air purifier, try some simple steps to reduce indoor air irritation:
- Vacuum often and completely with a vacuum with HEPA filtration.
- Prohibit smoking in the house.
- Keep your heating and cooling units and change the air filters regularly.
- Minimize the use of candles and wood fires.
- Use extractors in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry.
- Do not store chemicals, solvents, adhesives or pesticides near your home.
- If pollen or related allergies prevent you from opening windows, operate your air conditioner or fan cooling system with a clean air filter.
The Pros and Cons
Pros: They are portable: most interior air purifiers weigh 10 to 20 pounds, have a handle and stop on the floor or on a table, while heavier models can have wheels.
Many have a high performance particulate filter (HEPA filter) that can pick up ultra fine particles. Remember: most HEPA filters must be replaced annually. These are costs that may be close to the cost of the air filter, but some models are now available with cleanable HEPA filters.
Cons: Portable models that use electrostatic precipitators or ionizers can produce ozone, a lung irritant.
Dedicated ozone generators, a subset of spatial models, produce large amounts of ozone. According to the manufacturer, allergens such as dust, smoke, pollen, germs and molds must be reduced. However, ozone is a serious health problem that is causing the state of California to ban the sale of ozone generators (and other air purifiers that emit more than 50 oz ozone ozone) from the general market.
Things to Consider
Many portable models have an annual operating cost of $ 150 to $ 200 for filter and power replacement (most of which is spent on filters). The prices of the filters can range between $ 10 per piece and around $ 100 (with some prices well above the hundreds). Some units use a pre-filter to capture large particles in the air before they reach the HEPA filter, which can extend their life.
Depending on the application, you must replace the carbon filters every 3 months and the main filter every year. To save costs, look for space models rated by Energy Star, which means they are relatively energy efficient compared to standard models. Some models have washable filters that can be reused.
Any type of air purifier will not work well if the filter is clogged and dusty. When the filter is full, it may not work completely.
Noise levels are important, especially if you operate an air purifier in a room where you sleep or work. For efficiency (and rest), we recommend choosing a larger unit and driving at a lower speed than turning a small one.
Room Air Purifier Features
Fan: Most indoor air purifiers use a fan to suck air for filtration. Those who do not have a fan (the air circulates naturally throughout the house) are quieter, but those that we tried without a fan did a bad job.
Maintenance indicator: a clogged air filter works inefficiently. This feature tells you when to clean the device or replace the filter.
Programmable timer: these controls allow you to configure the air purifier to run for a few hours before using a room, or to turn it off automatically.
Carry Handle: Facilitates the movement of the unit from one room to another.
Number of speeds: the device adapts to your needs for air cleaning – and lower when you sleep or work and need rest, greater when it is the main pollen season.
Ionizer: If a device has an ionizer (the particle attracts an effect such as static electricity), it is important that ozone does not occur (this can be in the container or in a manual, you can also check the comments). Ozone is a potential lung irritant.
Remote control: Allows easy adjustment of settings throughout the room.
Dirt sensor: On some models, the unit automatically adjusts fan speed to dirt or dust in the air.
Washable prefilter: A washable and reusable prefilter collects large particles; If it is washable, it can help reduce the total cost. However, many of our best rated models do not have this option.
Clearing the Air
What they do well
The best air filters are particularly good for filtering dirt particles such as dust, smoke from candles or chimneys and pollen.
What is not great
However, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) of adhesives, paints and cleaners, and other types of gaseous pollutants are another thing. Some models of portable carbon pre-filters will filter VOCs, but the Environmental Protection Agency warns that such filters are specific to certain gaseous pollutants, not others, and that no air purifier will remove all polluting gases in the typical home. Carbon filters must also be replaced frequently, usually every 3 to 6 months, or they stop working.
What the terms mean
The association of the home appliance certified most of the spatial models as part of a voluntary program that included an appropriate size of space and the maximum air purification rate (CADR), a measure of the rate of purification. We rate a CADR above 350 as excellent and below 100 as bad. Choose a model designed for a larger area for better cleaning at lower and quieter speeds.
Oreck AirInstinct HEPA Large Room Air Purifier
Oreck has integrated advanced technology, superior design and HEPA filtration into a new type of air purifier. AirInstinct 200 is smart … incredibly smart; It uses technology to eliminate the conjectures of air purifiers. Most air purifiers give you different speeds, but ask yourself: when should I turn it on and what speed should I use?
Orecks AirInstinct 200, with its unique PATH filtration system (pre-filter, anti-odor, True HEPA), continuously controls the particles in the air that flows through your sensor and adjusts its airflow speed accordingly. Put it in Automode and it makes you think for you. The four-color lighting system lets you know when it works and at what speed. Perfect for rooms up to 248 sq.
- The 3-year HEPA filter (filter life varies according to use and environment) captures 99.97% of dust, allergens, smoke, pet dander and pollen at 0.3 microns of air passing through the filter.
- The 3-year odor filter (filter life varies with use and environment) reduces the usual odors and volatile organic compounds from the air that flows through the filter
- Turn it on and off ™ The AirInstinct ™ combines a smart sensor, automatic mode and color indicator lights to continuously check the levels of particles flowing through your sensor and adjust the speed of the air flow accordingly.
- Proposed for living spaces of up to 248 square meters and has a CADR of 160
- 5 speeds including car, idle and power modes, replace the filter indicator light, ambient light, Energy Star certification. Dimensions: 13.9 “x 7.5” x 25.25 “
Turn it on and leave
- When should I turn it on and what speed should I use? Put it in Automode and it makes you think for you. The four-color lighting system lets you know when it works and at what speed.
- Three stage PATH filter system
- Reduces odors and captures 99.97% of the particles (as small as 0.3 microns) of the air that flows through your filters.
- The silent technology
- Provides ultra low performance at low configuration.
Orack Air Purifier can be bought at amazon.com